Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wisdom from The Railway Children

I am reading The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit to the kids one chapter at a time. They really enjoy this classic story of three children whose father is falsely accused of a crime and imprisoned. The children are not aware of what has happened for most of the book. The book focuses on their adventures as they move into a very modest country home by the railroad with their mother. Their mother writes stories as a means of support for herself and the children. This is a quote from today's reading:


(Mother talking to Peter)
"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. but God knows how to make the story end just right-in the way that's best for us."

"Do you really believe that , Mother?" Peter asked quietly.

"Yes," she said, " I do believe it- almost always-except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I can't believe it, I know it's true-and I try to believe it."
I really like that conversation. When things are hard, we know that God is working everything out for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Let our hardships and struggles give Him glory always and point others to Him.

No comments: