Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hinds' Feet On High Places

I have been reading this piece of classic Christian literature- Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard. It is an allegory a lot like Pilgrim's Progress except the main character is a woman. I was looking for something new to read and have seen this on the shelf many times. I picked it up finally this week and it's been hard to put down.

The main character, Much-Afraid is from the Fearing family. She broke away to follow the Shepherd and now He wants to take her from the Valley of Humiliation to the High Places. The book chronicles her journey with her two companions- Sorrow and Suffering. I have so identified with this character. Being at home at night while my husband works second shift really brings out my anxious heart. Also, this new chapter in our ministry is a little scary. I prayed that the Lord would speak to me through this book and He has especially through the dialogue shared between Much-Afraid and the Shepherd.

One in particular comes when Much-Afraid is faced with a sheer cliff she must climb in order to follow the path of the Shepherd. The Shepherd knows her concerns about having to go this way. He reminds her if she wants hinds' feet she must go the way of the hind to develop them. She says she's not sure she wants them if that is what it takes. The Shepherd almost laughs as he says: "Oh, yes you do, I know you better than you know yourself, Much-Afraid. You want it very much indeed, and I promise you these hinds' feet. Indeed, I have brought you on purpose to this back side of the desert, where the mountains are particularly steep...." He reminds her of something He said earlier "Now thou shalt see what I will do." She says "Why, it's too preposterously absurd! It's crazy! Whatever will you do next?"

That sums up exactly how we have felt from the beginning of this journey. We know God has called us here and sometimes everything seems so crazy. There is excitement and fear all rolled up in one. Much-Afraid faces more on this journey and at times she listens to the voices telling her she is headed in the wrong direction, but yet she trusts the Shepherd. Although the Way to the High Places seems at times to lead in the opposite direction, she stays on the path. She is willing to trust even though it means giving up everything.
God sometimes takes us through things in our lives on purpose to develop His Ways in us. May I be like Much-Afraid and follow the Shepherd no matter the cost.

No comments: