Saturday, April 21, 2007

Things that go bump in the night!

Last night or should I say very very early this morning, we heard scratches and bumps from what sounded like something coming in through the floor or the wall behind the refrigerator and then from our closets. Insane thoughts of what it might be flooded my mind- a big hungry bear (well, maybe the scratches aren't that loud), a big ole snake ( I don't hear any rattlers and then I was informed by my wild animal savvy husband that snakes do not make scratching noises), a big ugly hairy diseased rat (I imagined how loud I would scream if I saw something scurry across the floor), a rabid raccoon (somehow I have never found raccoons the least bit the friendly bandit when I heard about how they could scratch the face off of someone), a demonic squirrel (squirrels remind me of rodents which some of you know I am deathly afraid of), and last but not least a stinky ole possum (my mother in law had one get in her house once in Florida.) Now do not get me wrong, I like wildlife but from a distance- a very long distance or in controlled, supervised attraction centers designed for people just like me. These were all possibilities that invaded my mind while I lie awake listening to see if it will continue or just go away. My brave husband got up and went around looking (he even went outside on the porch to check it out) and found nothing visibly there. But like with all things that go bump in the night we just may never know (and probably do not ever want to).

No comments: