Saturday, April 28, 2007

Back to the grindstone




The old time-clock. I started back to the work-a-day world last week. Beginning an entry level position at Denso Manufacturing. They make the circuit boards that run your car's air bags, sensors, etc. At the moment I am a professional rubber stamper (I rubber stamp the production codes on the circuit boards after they are come out of the oven. This is my first time in this business and I can honestly say I really enjoy it. I am working through a temp agency right now but I am also applying to be hired by Denso directly. The funny thing is that, after six years in college (and getting myself in lifelong debt to the loan companies) I can walk into a place like Denso and get an entry level job making more per year than any professional position I have held in ministry OR social work! And the big educational requirement??? a high school diploma or GED. If I would have started there at 21 I would be clearing more than if I'd gotten a master's degree in counseling by now. And so, here I am trying to learn a new job at 36 years of age while I am surrounded by twenty-somethings. The real kicker was hearing a 24 and 26 year-old complaining about "getting old".

The struggle is in wondering what God has us out here for. It may be to share the gospel with our neighbors if we thought we could get past the rottweilers and pit bulls wandering the yards and streets. I suppose we will find out when God decides it's time and when he provides the opportunities. I must say, that if we are put on a temporary 'shelf', then I can't think of a better place. I can't helped but be overwhelmed by God's presence every time I go to Walmart, work or to the grocery story and then turn for home only to be mesmerized by the panoramic view of the Smokies towering in the sky. I don't think I will ever get over them, it always takes my breath away. I can't wait to get my kayak in the river and get my family on the trails. We walk every day on a great bike trail in Townsend and have only seen about six bicyclists total. And the kids seem to really be enjoying themselves.

Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and he will strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord! (Psalm 27:14)

This is my verse given to me as a brand new Christian. This is the only one that was given to me in such a unique way. Maybe because God knows I need to be taught and retaught the importance of waiting on God all the days of my life. Well, I guess if I have to wait, I might as well do it in the Smoky Mountains!

2 comments:

jackiannie said...

JP,

Congrats on the new job!! I can only imagine the spiritual impact you will undoubtedly have on those who simply are near you on the job!!

You have a holiness about you. And it leaves other's wondering, "hey, whats up with this guy?" "He is always smiling and never complains." Who wouldn't be intrigued by that!!

I have no doubt God has you exactly where He wants you!!!

Best wishes!

God Bless,

Jacqueline

Gail said...

Jean Pierre,
Such an amazing turn of events, but then, we serve an amazing God. I think I'm going to enjoy reading your blogs.
Finally figured out I had to sign up to leave a comment. Glad you are enjoying your job, too. The smokies are awesome. Tell Christy I said Hi!
Love, Mom