Monday, May 28, 2007

Why I Like House Church

I found a bunch of cool videos of house churches on Utube. Most of them are in large cities. Of all the types of "non-traditional" churches I have looked at, house church has been the most attractive. The NT churches are house churches and it seems to reflect the spirit of authentic Christian community. I think this particular house church is in the Midwest somwhere and I like the interview style video. Notice how the children are included as part of the congregation. They are not saying how much they like thier Children's program or youth group, but they are actually part of the congregation! Well, take a look and get an idea of where we hope to head in the future.

2 comments:

jackiannie said...

JP,

THANK YOU FOR THAT CLIP ON HOUSE CHURCHES. I HAVE A MUCH BETTER UNDERSTANDING NOW. ITS MUCH AS I HAD PICTURED IT TO BE. SO HAVE YOU FOUND ONE YET, OR PLANNING TO START ONE?

I WISH WE WERE CLOSER TO YOU GUYS!

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS,
JACQUELINE

JP said...

I wish you were too, Jacqueline! No we haven't found one closer to us than Knoxville. And as far as starting one, we have come to the point of realizing that God is complete control of this. I know that they teach you to develop a "target group" and a "five, ten, and twenty year growth plan", and put together an outreach program and all that in the church planting stuff our denominational leaders seem so fond of. But we feel that God will "bring the increase" in His time. We know that he wants us to rest and recover learning to cope with our new life outside of traditional pastoring. So we are doing just that and trying to learn all we can. There's lots of stuff on the net about house church and, like any church, you have to wade through it to find what is Biblical and authentic.

Heard the good news about Micheal, we'll be praying!

JP